Barbie movie soundtrack: All songs, artists, & more
Greta Gerwig’s pink dream film Barbie is now in theaters, so here’s everything we know about Barbie: The Album, including the list of artists and other details.
It’s no secret that one of the biggest, and pinkest, movies of the summer is Greta Gerwig’s Barbie. Starring Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling, and a whole host of A-list actors, the movie is set to explore Barbie’s connection to the real world and how she becomes more than just a doll.
Fans have wondered what the soundtrack for the movie would look like. There’s already an incredibly famous song dedicated to the doll by the band Aqua, who wrote and performed the 1997 classic hit Barbie Girl.
When pop star Dua Lipa was announced as part of the cast, excitement around the soundtrack only grew. And now we have know who will be on the soundtrack and other fun details about it.
Barbie soundtrack: Artists and songs list
The Barbie soundtrack artist list is comprised of some of the biggest singers and rappers in the industry along with some fun surprises.
Rolling Stone exclusively announced the artist list for Barbie: The Album, and, while the list is incredibly impressive already, they did say that more “Barbies and Kens” will be announced when the soundtrack drops on July 21, so we’ll be sure to update this page as they roll out. In the meantime, check out the list below:
- ‘Choose Your Fighter’ by Ava Max
- What Was I Made For?’ by Billie Eilish
- ‘Speed Drive’ by Charli XCX
- ‘Hey Blondie’ by Dominic Fike
- ‘Dance The Night’ by Dua Lipa
- ‘Barbie Dreams’ by Fifty Fifty featuring Kali
- ‘Butterflies’ by Gayle
- ‘Home’ by Haim
- ‘WATITI’ by Karol G featuring Aldo Ranks
- ‘Silver Platter’ by Khalid
- ‘Pink’ by Lizzo
- ‘Barbie World’ Nicki Minaj & Ice Spice (with Aqua)
- ‘Angel’ by PinkPantheress
- ‘I’m Just Ken’ by Ryan Gosling
- ‘Journey To The Real World’ by Tame Impala
- ‘Forever & Again’ by The Kid Laroi
The project will be produced by Mark Ronson, who has had a legendary career producing for Amy Winehouse, Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, Dua Lipa, and Miley Cyrus.
As of writing, one major artist is yet to be revealed for the soundtrack. With some speculating if it will be Sam Smith, Taylor Swift or Lady Gaga, Ronson had this to say in an interview with Time: “[They’re] one of the f-cking greatest living artists around but also had a very personal, idiosyncratic tie to Barbie as well.”
However, it was later revealed that Ronson was referring to Billie Eilish, as she will have a song on the album titled ‘ What Was I Made For?’ In a statement posted by Pop Crave, Ronson said: “I love all these artists being thrown around. But was specifically referring to Billie.”
Eilish released the full song and music video on July 13. It’s a beautiful ballad that tries to figure out what makes a person a person as Eilish looks back at her past red carpet outfits. Check it out below:
According to DiscussingFilms, Gosling 80s power-ballad contribution, ‘I’m Just Ken,’ seems to play on Gerwig’s interpretation of Ken, and even features musician Slash. In a recent interview with Vogue, Gerwig explained that she thinks Ken was “invented after Barbie, to burnish Barbie’s position in our eyes and in the world. That kind of creation myth is the opposite of the creation myth in Genesis.”
Gosling’s ’80s themed power ballad has truly taken the world by storm and has given the actor’s his first song on the Billboard Hot 100 as the song currently sits in the 87th spot.
As for Nicki Mina’s contribution to the album, Minaj has famously referred to herself as Harajuku Barbie, one of her rapping alter egos, since her 2010 debut, so it makes sense that she would be the artist to work on such an iconic song linked to the Barbie brand.
Minaj and Ice Spice released their rendition of Aqua’s ‘Barbie Girl’ on June 23, 2023 along with a pink themed music video. You can check it out below:
When and where can I listen to the Barbie album?
The Barbie album is now available to buy, both in Vinyl and CD form.
The Vinyl is available to order from Amazon, as is the CD. Plus, with the CD you get a free Barbie poster!
That’s everything we know about Barbie: The Album, but we’ll be sure to update this page as announcements roll out. In the meantime, you can check out more of our Barbie coverage below:
- Barbie Movie review: She’s everything, and so is Ken
- Barbie ending explained: Does Barbie become human?
- Best Easter eggs in the Barbie movie
- Barbie 2: Everything we know so far
- Does Barbie have a post-credits scene?
- Barbie reviews: First reactions praise “cinematic triumph”
- Is the new Barbie movie for kids?
- Barbie has a Snyder Cut joke and fans are already angry
- Barbie banned in Vietnam over infamous “nine dash line”
- The 33 movies that inspired Barbie
- Barbie movie cast: All actors and characters